Another long episode.....but we know you LOVE it! ;-p
Cashyie officially tried to eliminate me from the show by feeding me high percentage alcohol. Believe me, this Stroh 80 thing BURNS your throat....and I couldn't talk for a bit. And promptly, we veered off to talk about Tyrolean Mankitten....
You will learn the use of made-up words by Tyrolean Mankitten. You get to learn what chillaxin' is....and why it shouldn't be transcribed directly in Catalán: Xlaxin' just got Ms. B and me laughing literally for minutes! (If you don't know, Exlax is a brand of laxative! - And no, this isn't advertisement).
Now that you know, take the poll:
A thank you goes to Dharmafey from Socks in the City Podcast for the gorgeous sock yarns for us plus the extra toe/heel yarn for me!!
We plugged Knit Therapy! Go have a listen...
What's on/off our needles?
- Ms. B:
- Montego Bay Scarf
- She's going to cast on for mittens
I had been neglecting my knitting totally...because I found a new hobby: Spinning! I actually started off with Ms. B. Scored off some rovings from her (which she actually got from Cauchy09). Ms. B doesn't like spinning. I, on the other hand, am totally hooked. I got some cheap wool to spin with and I also got heaps of rovings and fibre samples from Mike and KnottyNaomi!
I finished spinning up the singles during recording. Got home that evening and plied the yarn, washed and set the twist...and here's the result:
I also talked about this one sample from KnottyNaomi, which is Ingeo.
Cashyie has been conducting some secret experiments! She dyed some gorgeous yarn! First, she scored the blank yarn - not even super-wash - from Ms. B. Interestingly, Cashyie dyed the yarn with hair-dye. She even talked to us a bit about the scientific side of dyeing the yarn with hair-dye.
German terms with Elemm: I've decided to do something different. But before I could even start, we got another not-so-very-appropriate German term for you, and that is "Arschgeweih" ("Ass Antler").
Anyway, I will be translating the colourway names of the Wollmeise yarns! I won't be translating the obvious ones, but I'll include them here for the sake of completeness:
- Wollmeise = Wool tomtit
- Sonne = sun
- Campari Orange (it's a cocktail, HERE is the recipe)
- Kürbis = pumpkin
- Spice Market
- Red Hot Chili
- Uluru (click on the link, if you don't know what "Uluru" is)
- Indisch Rot = Indian red
- Dornröschen = Sleeping Beauty (lit. thorny rose)
- Wilder Mohn = Wild poppy
Also, when you move here, you need to register yourself at the citizen registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt). When you register, you need to put in your religion....and you end up with a religion tax.
Holidays aren't compensated here, if that holiday falls on a weekend.
CV in your application for a job here needs to have a photo of yourself in it. There are some discrimination at work place here that aren't spoken for openly...but it's there and believe me, I have experienced it myself. They're not rampant about it, but it's an underlying tone. Especially they would discriminate because of age. Also, it's hard for women who have children here to work, just because of the time slot of things here.
And again, we picked on Rock Star Husband. We tested him against Cashyie on their knowledge of all things about knitting. And poor Rock Stark Husband got tricked into drinking a shot of Stroh 80 before doing the quiz. (And I noticed that he was wearing cashmere socks!) Cashyie totally scored this round. ;-)
Rock Star Husband tells a story about a creepy little girl who scared him in his younger years. We'll be hearing more of his stories in later episodes!
Ms. B also talks about her Malabrigo yarns that she got....partly for the Hanami Stole that Shannon from the SSK Podcast enabled her to knit.
- Benediktbeuern Textile Market (22nd-23rd September 2007): We're set! For those in Germany, it seems we're all meeting up at the Hauptbahnhof to take the train together. Since you're all coming at different time, I'm suggesting that we gather our group at the Starbucks on the platforms to the southern side of the station. I'll be there from 8.30 a.m. onwards on Saturday morning (22nd). I think that we'll be taking the train that leaves at 10.32 a.m. and we should arrive in Benediktbeuern at 11.29 a.m. We will organise the returning time when we got together, since some of us might want to get back early. Really looking forward to meeting up with everybody! Anyone who just wants to join us for the day is welcome, but please let me know with ample time so that I can organise you into the group!
- Ms. B's first round of Taste of Germany went extremely well. It sold out within 3 seconds, srsly! But don't be afraid, second round will be coming up soon, and it probably will be green!
We then talk about this particular photo shoot that Cashyie just talked about. How we were supposed to pose, but not look posed. Where we were shooting...how the photo supposed to turn out (in "sunshine", while we were, in reality, freezing our asses off in drizzling rain). We're not allowed to post the photo yet though...but rest assure, it will come! ;-)
You can leave us a comment here or contact us via email:
KnittersUncensored (at) gmail (dot) com
or come and join us at our Uncensored Knitters Ravelry Group!
This week's music is Jonathan Coulton's "Sky Mall", and it is brought to you by:
The next episode probably will come out towards the end of September. Until then, keep knitting!